Saturday, September 29, 2012

Defending the Nation's Capital

Fort Washington, Maryland on the Potomac River- 
completed in 1809-
 destroyed in 1814-
remodeled and ready in 1846,
reinforced in 1891,
 and abandoned in 1939.
Our sure defenses here on earth - 
fail, and finally stand unarmed.



 We stopped by briefly last week for a walk along the water-
and in the far distance is Washington, D.C


and in this time of political rhetoric that assails us--
 I am reminded of where our sure defense lies-
and though we may only be familiar
 with the first part of the Serenity Prayer-
 the second part gives reassurance 
of the sure hope that we have in our trust in Christ.

The Serenity Prayer
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change,
courage to change the things I can, 
and the wisdom to know the difference  --
living one day at a time,
enjoying one moment at a time
accepting hardships as the pathway to peace,
taking as He did, this sinful world as it is,
not as I would have it,
trusting that he will make all things right
if I surrender to His will --
that I may be reasonably happy in this life\
and supremely happy with Him forever.

Reinhold Niebuhr

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for adding your thoughts and comments- they are greatly appreciated.