But if I could pick 12 Advent thoughts this celebration of 12 today, what might they be?
some nostalgic? some predictive? What have I leaned in over a half century of living Advent?
|Wood and a Metal Nativity|
2. Keep a manger out in your house all year round. It helps to be a visual reminder that Christmas living is every day living.
3. Make a list of Advent preparations. Then cross off half the things. Then start your getting ready for a Birthday.
|Paper trees and metal Holy Family.|
5. Look for those who celebrate without family living nearby and call them "family".
6. Watch The Nativity video and sit in amazement at the regular people- Mary and Joseph- who loved that baby- who just happened to be God, and imagine yourself in their place.
|Paper wreath- Joy to the World|
7. Play Christmas music all day long and dance if your heart is leaping.
8. Research and learn about using a Jesse tree, and find one that suits your age and stage of family.
And mark the story of the Old Testament herald to the Messiah.
9. Find a live performance of The Messiah and let the music sink into your soul.
10. Imagine being a different character of the story each day. One day be a shepherd, one day the innkeeper. One day be a Wise Man.
11. Find a Living Nativity and go pet a sheep and smell a camel.
12. Pray about who you might bless this year with the gift of fresh water, a goat for their family, or
a gift that means a new standard of living for another family around the world.
So on this day of 12-12 -12- those are my Advent thoughts to share...... some I learned long ago and some are new Advent thoughts...
And may the sights, and sounds, and smells of Advent preparations bring to your deep heart places--
the joy of knowing that Advent means Coming- for He is returning for each and every one of His children. Pray that each day we may pay attention and see our part of the story.