Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Migdal- Where His Followers Gathered

The worship center here opened
 in 2014 in Magdala-
(Migdal in Hebrew.)
The altar is shaped like a first-century boat. 
From the pews it looks like it is floating
 on the Sea of Galilee-right out the window.
The church is simple in design,
  but also rich in mosaics and murals,
 focusing especially on women in the Bible.
 It is named Duc in Altum 
(Latin for "Put out into the deep," 
from Christ's words in Luke 5:4)

 Beautfiul mosaic in the Migdal Church
Midgal was the home of Mary Magdalene.
 And the power - even in His garments

Jesus hung out here 
with His followers in Migdal.
 Perhaps He met Mary here. 
 She followed Jesus after meeting
 Him in the Galilee. 
"An expression that appears many times
 in several places of the Gospel,
"Jesus went around Galilee 
preaching in their synagogues,"
Father Solana, general director
 at the Magdal Center, explained.
 "So this is the closest synagogue 
to Capernaum where He lived. 
So it was likely He was here many times." 

The Jewish historian Josephus
 says Magdala had a population
 of 40,000 people
 and a fleet of 230 boats
 about 30 years after Jesus died.

This synagogue is dated to the first century AD, 
before the destruction of the second Temple. 
It is the first synagogue discovered in Galilee
 and one of seven known from this period
 in the land of Israel. 
The impressive structure was established
 by a community of Jewish farmers and fisherman.
A seven branch Menorah relief.
This is the earliest example - so far- 
of  a Menorah discovered 
in a Jewish building in Galilee.
The modern day town of Migdal 
was founded in 1910. 
In 2009 it had a population of 1, 627.
It is located near Ginosaur 
with a shoreline on the Sea of Galilee.
The town is named after the old city of Migdala- 
which was the home town of Mary (called Magdalene)
Luke 8:2
In 1908 a small group of German Catholics 
identified the site as the birthplace 
of Mary Magdalene settled there. 
They left after a year and the land 
was bought by Russian Zionists to farm.
A few years later it was sold to private investors.
Port and city uncovered
Mosaic including boat discovered at Magdala (© Magdala Project)
Mosaic including boat discovered at Magdala (© Magdala Project)
Beginning in the 1960s, Franciscan archaeologists discovered Magdala’s ancient port and a city grid, with paved streets, water canals, a marketplace, villas and mosaics — one depicting a sailing boat.
Buried in the mud covering a thermal bath complex were ceramic crockery, perfume jars, jewellery, hairbrushes and combs, and bronze applicators for make-up.
The discovery of the massive foundations of a tower may account for the city’s name. Both Magdala in Aramaic and Migdal in Hebrew mean “tower”.

First-century synagogue identified


More archaeological remains were uncovered in 2009 
on an adjacent property newly acquired 
by the Legion of Christ to establish a hotel,
institute for women and retreat centre. The Legion,
a Catholic congregation, manages the Notre Dame Center in Jerusalem.
seetheholyland.net

Our guide Yossi--
explaining the significance 
of this relief discovery.
Father Kelly introduces 
a bit of the Migdal site-
Migdal Site

 In this Holy Week-
 thinking about where His followers 
hung out with Jesus.
 Where they listened.
Where they asked questions.
Where we can still be close to HIM-
 in His Word.

A very helpful site for Holy Land info-
see the holy land


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for adding your thoughts and comments- they are greatly appreciated.