Thursday, November 9, 2017

Spiritual Hymns- from 1829

 I picked up this very tiny hymn book 
in Raleigh, North Carolina this past weekend.
Most of the hymns and songs
 I am not familiar with-
except -Amazing Grace.
It was published in Caroline, Virginia on 
May 2, 1829.
One hundred and eighty eight years ago.
BEFORE the Civil War.
It must have been Caroline County
 as there is no city by this name.
Caroline County
 is 30 miles north of the capitol
 of Richmond and 32 miles  
south of Fredericksburg.
It is the book on the left-
Dover Selection.
It is smaller than any other small books
 that I have on my shelves.
Only the back still
 has the leather cover.
The front opens to the preface.
As I have held this small hymn book 
and paged through the songs,
 I cannot help but wonder 
who owned it and who sang from it.
Who held it as a dear treasure of words to praise
their Heavenly Father?
What pocket or purse gave it shelter?
What strength did it bring to a person of faith?
I won't ever know the answers to those questions,
 but I hope that in gentle care taking, 
it might give testimony 
in another hundred years. 
That a life of worship and praise 
may be connected to another generation
 that stills sings His goodness and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for adding your thoughts and comments- they are greatly appreciated.