Thursday, August 30, 2018

Oh Momma.....When You Miss Those Conversations

14 years....
 14 years ago today I
 lost my sweet little momma.
I always called her my "little momma," 
because she was well, little.
I always felt like an Amazon women 
standing next to her.
And this had nothing to do with 
ordering and shipping.
I have probably posted this very photo 
before,
 because it is my favorite photo of us together.
She was visiting in our home in Virginia-
in a time of my life of busy motherhood
 and care-giving.
Though she was tiny in stature,
 she was giant in her spiritual life.
I was always puzzled
 by her choice of reading material-
St. Augustine,
Luther's Works-(yes, she had read all of them),
Thomas A Kempis,
old master's poetry,
and anything about Katie Luther.
After her death,
 we sorted and sorted books. 
We wondered what to do with her books.
We couldn't part with them, 
but all of her children rolled their eyes,
 knowing we would never read them.

So we packed them in boxes.
Then the Kingdom moved.
The Lord opened up in me a deep hunger
 for a different kind of reading.
A different kind of nurture.
Other things fell away.
Though it may not, as yet,
 be her exact list of authors,
her gentle encouragement 
spans across the here and after.
Discipling is usually WITH the ones we walk, 
spend time and share.
But, do NOT discount the legacy 
of a Faith-filled life that spans across time.
The visual cues that sprinkled our time together
 or blessed our conversations runs deep.
She left a legacy that we could find and follow.
The Holy Spirit has much to work 
with in this mentoring of momma and daughter.
And even though I dearly miss our chats and laughs,
  gentle words of whispered encouragement or written letters-
speak truth and bring hope.
And I thank God for this gift of grace in my life-
dear, little momma.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for adding your thoughts and comments- they are greatly appreciated.