Thursday, September 15, 2016

Bible Marginalia- Run with the Horses

Bible Marginalia Series # 177

Hanging out in Jeremiah yet......
Chapter 12:5 has the words for the theme
 of Eugene Peterson' s book-
Run with the Horses.
The NIV has:
“If you have raced with men on foot
and they have worn you out
 how can you compete with horses?
If you stumble in safe country,
how will you manage 
in the thickets by the Jordan?

The ESV also has compete with horses.

The NLT has:
“If racing against mere men makes you tired,
    how will you race against horses?
If you stumble and fall on open ground,
    what will you do in the thickets
 near the Jordan?"

Maybe it is the tired and wearied part
 here I can identify with on some days.
Life often does feel like a 
foot race that I am losing.
But, then it is here in the "easy part" 
where we stumble.
What happens in the tough times?
(always interesting how different
 light makes the page look different)
 In Chapter 12, Jeremiah approaches God
with a humble complaint.
Why is it that it seems that the wicked people
 and their wicked practices are still successful?
Couldn't God just bring the wicked
 and their evil ways to an end? 
God rebukes Jeremiah about his uneasiness
 in the troubles at hand, 
and cautions him to prepare 
for even greater troubles.
Israel is in a sad state.
And so am I.
 God promises mercy.
He speaks to our hardheartedness 
and stubbornness.
 On days when I need to run, or compete, 
and generally without horses- I know
His wrath does not stand AGAINST ME.

When I wallow in self-pity for failing
 at yet another heroic attempt- at anything, 
I remember my calling.
When I moan about life being difficult,
I take another deep breath.
When I think that maybe this time,
it is easier to give up,
I choose not to settle.
When I am at my wit's end,
and realize that this "is the calm time,"
I reset my gaze.
When I feel despondent, 
that life is just easier for "others",
I will find Jeremiah courage.
"I'll run with the horses."

Supplies:
Target Acrylic paint
Folk Art stencil
Washi tape
Signo uni white pen
Micron pen
Illustrated Faith arrow and banner
Alpha Letters
Faber Castell Gelatos 
Tim Holtz Chitchat mini words 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for adding your thoughts and comments- they are greatly appreciated.