Friday, August 11, 2017

The Modern Priscilla


I suppose I could say that I have waited
 100 years to write this blog post.
That is when this magazine cover 
arrived in the homes of American women.
But actually, I have waited more like 25 years.  
That is about how long I think
 I have had this picture. 
It gets hung every August.
A bit of history-

Modern Priscilla 


MODERN PRISCILLA (1887-1930)
 began at Lynn, Massachusetts,
 as a sixteen-page quarto devoted to fancy work, 
dress patterns,
 china painting, and needlework in general,
 at fifty cents a year. 
In 1894 it was moved to Boston, 
and eventually it was enlarged in scope
 to cover many other aspects of women's home life.
 It absorbed EVERYDAY HOUSEKEEPING in March 1912,
 and HOME NEEDLEWORK MAGAZINE in May 1917.
 The last issue was July 1930, 
after which it apparently merged into NEEDLECRAFT.

It was reported to have a paid circulation 
of 600,000 subscriptions in 30,000 cities in 1925.
 It moved to New York City in 1930
 but folded soon, citing 
the stock market crash of 1929 
as a significant cause.
So what was happening in the world in August 1917?
 August 18-
 The  Great Thessaloniki Fire of 1917 
in Greece destroys 32% of the city, 
leaving 70,000 individuals homeless.
The draft had started in America.
Women did not have suffrage- the right to vote yet.
Mata Hari had been executed for spying for Germany.
Things were falling apart with Germany waging war in Europe

And this young girl went right on skiing 
on her wooden wakeboard in black tights.

And we wonder-were most of the 600,000 
living in disregard to the REAL world they lived in?
And what about us?
We are finishing up vacations, 
back to school shopping, 
and planning our fall travels.
With Korea bantering major destruction and threats.

And yet, because He holds my future-
I have to wonder what they will look back and see-
in 2117.
And what wall,
 in what home,
 this Modern Priscilla just might adorn.

He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High
    will abide in the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say to the Lord, “My refuge and my fortress,
    my God, in whom I trust.

Psalm 91:1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for adding your thoughts and comments- they are greatly appreciated.