Saturday, February 27, 2021

A Tribute to Christine


Chris as a Navy nurse on a hospital ship in Vietnam.

My faith community 
lost a dear sister this week.
It was the earthly journey's end
 to a valiant fight with pancreatic cancer.
 We step back and sing muted 
Alleluias in this Lenten season,
and celebrate her eternity dance in heaven.
Somehow, I had missed the communication 
that she had moved into hospice
 at the beginning of 2021.
When I found out, there was a strong 
Spirit nudge to touch base with the Hohenstein family.
  I set up a visit bringing husband, John, with me.
I had created a prayer card 
 for Chris, husband, Hoppy, and son Ray.
When we arrived they were all there
 and her mother, Bobbi, also.
I struggled with choosing a verse.
  Then, I remembered my dad
saying that in the end the only thing
 is knowing that Jesus Loves Me.
Chris and Hoppy

When I served as the Director of Women's Ministry 
at our home church- Prince of Peace,
 I began a Soul-Tending book group that became
Faith Shapers. 
When I left that position, 
Chris took on the leadership (with others).
In our visit last week she mentioned
 that a meeting was coming up on Monday
 and she hadn't read the book yet.
 And... someone else would have to lead.
She always shared with me the importance
 of that life-changing pivot of what she read.
There was a deeper richness
 in her spiritual journey and it brought her joy.
Here is the list of many
 of the books Chris read since 2006.
faith-shapers-booklist-since-october-2006-2020.pdf
Chris with son Ray and grandson.

Chris was animated in our conversation
 and shared that she was afraid of her last days ahead. 
John read a part of Psalm 139. 
Chris said she couldn't remember all of that... 
John told her the story of when 
he was young and afraid of the dark. 
 His parents would come in and give him
 the image of Jesus holding a lamb and he was that lamb.
Chris said she could cling to that image.
We prayed, did our best masked smile, 
and wished we could hug.
Chris and her dear granddaughter.

Chris joined in the events 
at my home called Creative Haven.
We experimented with story-telling, 
keep the faith projects.
Documenting the God Moments
 of our lives and His Faithfulness.
When Chris faced this latest health challenge,
 she had a strong desire to finish
 telling her story of Walking with the Lord.
In brief conversations I know that this
 became a real struggle.
  Her days were soon filled with 
just the things that needed to be,
 with little energy left for anything else.
When we last spoke of taking the time
 to write our faith story Chris said-
"tell others to do it NOW."
 I don't know how far she got in her quest, 
but I share the document she was using.
(It is great if you just fill out the form
 in this project and put this in your Bible.)
Chris was so dearly loved by all those
 in her circle of family and friends.
My treasured remembrance
 is a sister in faith with a teachable spirit, 
ready to help and encourage always.
The favorite stories we shared
 in these later months were the ones 
of the absolute delight of grandparenting,
 and covering them all with prayer.
When I got home from that visit
 I needed some time in His Word.
The image of Living Transformed 
so reminded me of Chris's journey. 
For we WALK BY FAITH.
Chris remembered a conversation we had
 after my mother died in 2004.
My mom had shared that the greatest gift
 a parent gives their children is to:
 Be Faithful, Live Well and Die Well.
Yes, dear friend Chris ran the race with endurance-
 with a faith that could not be shaken.
May we be blessed to do likewise.
Praise be to our Heavenly Father.

Therefore let us be grateful for receiving a kingdom 
that cannot be shaken, 
and thus let us offer to God acceptable worship, 
with reverence and awe.
Hebrews 12:28


3 comments:

  1. Wonderful, wonderful tribute for a friend who blessed you as much as, I'm sure, you blessed her. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So grateful for Faith Shapers, Connie. For the encouragement to read the books, yes, but also for the privilege of getting to know and learn from Chris and the other women of God who share their journeys of faith. One night a year or two ago I was privileged to just listen as Chris and Lola talked with each other about aging and death and Jesus, and I felt like I was on holy ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have often sat in Lola's circle and I am so thankful for your leadership for Faith Shapers- a great great blessing in my life to see that continue--

      Delete

Thanks for adding your thoughts and comments- they are greatly appreciated.