Tuesday, May 31, 2022

When the Roots Wither

                                                                                      

Tritoma in full bloom.
A welcome herald in the garden these days.
It has been a bit of a struggle in the yard this year.
A "misapplication" of weed killer by our 
lawn service company has taken out about 
1/2 of our perennial beds.
This is the gooseneck loosestrife bed.
It would normally be in full bloom soon.
The white yarrow would be in full bloom.
30 years of digging, planting 
and watering and weeding.

This would have been the Clara Barlow columbine.
It was challenging at first
 to see the beginning of the dying.
I couldn't really walk in the yard.
One day it looked like a plant had survived
 and then a 90 degree day arrived 
and it just disintegrated.
So I am working in pots these days.
Blooming colorful blossoms.

When I had to walk by my Fairy Rose bush here...
I went straight to the Rugosa Rose.
Survivor.
That is the code word for what
 has made it in the garden this year.
The Lawn Service manager has been here twice
 and we are working things out. 
Too hot to plant now- so planning on Fall for that.
Hard, yes.
But, in this week with the school shooting in Uvalde, Texas,
 there was also a family from our church
 who had their house burn down. 
Withered roots and dead plants 
 becomes at most- an inconvenience.
Not life altering.
I have asked God to calm my heart, 
move me through the challenge.
I have asked for resilience.
There is so much beauty everywhere.
In spite. 
Just have to keep looking.
My heart hurts for so many people
 these days.
Things beyond my control- or theirs.
The oneothera survived in the 
old slip scoop from my growing up farm.
I will work to pull up the dead plants.
(the horrid ground cover I have tried
 for years to get rid of--of course it survived)
I will stroll the yard and call plants by name-
Hello- Blue Veronica.
I will give thanks for all 
the things that are still alive.
I will sing praise for all my blessings.
I will rearrange "the farm"
 in the empty spots for now.
I will find JOY in the tiny snippets
 that enhance each day.
I won't have Astilbe this year- 
but a reminder- there is HOPE.
 There is always HOPE.
It is Still Good.
He is Still Good.
You can always follow along
 on Instagram with 
#vintagegracegardens



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for adding your thoughts and comments- they are greatly appreciated.