Friday, August 31, 2018

Portals of Prayer- Tiny Scripture Doodles

Sharing the experiment of  
TRYING OUT 
combining Tiny Scripture doodles 
with the daily readings of the 
Portals of Prayer devotions by
 Concordia Publishing House.
I grew up with Portals of Prayers 
as part of our family devotions.
I have found a process
 that has drawn me back.
I printed off the August calendar
 from the CPH blog.
But, the dilemma was how to tackle 
keeping this format in an on the go,
 in the car and airplane lifestyle.
I decided to try adapting the format
 to fit my Traveler's Journal.
(American Crafts- Michael's
May have to find this online.)
I set it up by cutting it 3 column, 
2 column, 2 column.
Picked 4 colored pencils 
to use through the month.
I added it to a graph paper insert.
Any style would work.
I have to flip it to get to the end of the week.
I usually like to see the Whole Month Story
 at a glance,
 but just knew that that would be hard 
to make happen in this season of life.
So for each day I read the devotions 
and pray that the Holy Spirit lifts up the phrase,
  word, or thought for my "take-away."
It becomes my "mini-bulletin board" 
that shapes prayer thoughts throughout the day.
 I have moved to the large print version
 of Portals of Prayer.
Enough said. 
It fits right in the back of my journal,
 so it goes right along on the way.

The grace place for this practice ?
Get behind a couple of days?
It is simple to catch up.

Many of our Lutheran Churches 
offer these devotions to 
members and visitors each quarter. 
(There is also an app on your phone-$9.99 a year.)

I have September ready to go for tomorrow.
  One of the things we talk about in our 
spiritual formation process-
be ready.
These will be offered quarterly by CPH
 and I will set up my journal- 
one quarter at a time.
The calendars will also be added to the Files section
 for all of the 
Visual Faith Communities on Facebook.
Easy to find and print.
Here is one of the 22 groups-
Visual Faith Ministry

Why don't you join us?
Follow along-
  and add your photos on Instagram
 with these hashtags-
#tinyscripturedoodles
#portalsofprayer
#visualfaith
#concordiapublishinghouse



2 comments:

  1. Love this, Connie! Thanks for sharing it! Have you thought about just doing the calendar in two pieces with the second piece including the rest of the month, folded so it will fit into the TN? Just a thought!

    Karen Field

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, actually I tired to figure that out that way but then there wasn't a flat surface to work on the fold out part-- often these get done in cars, airports and airplanes and I need it to lay flat- but that might work if you take the signature book out to work in it!!

      Delete

Thanks for adding your thoughts and comments- they are greatly appreciated.