Monday, September 17, 2012

No idea where I'm going

An early evening view of the red mandevilla
and pink crape myrtle fringe
This profusion of color is still so summer
  and I want to pull out the bronze, gold, and tangerines

Sometimes it is really about being calm right where you are.
  I was reminded that in this time of centering- 
it is OK not to see the path,
 and even to be calm in the dim lighting.

One of my favorite prayers was written by
 Thomas Merton
 in his “Thoughts From Solitude”. 

 “My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going.
I do not see the road ahead of me.
I cannot know for certain where it will end.
Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think I am
following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so.
But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you.
And I hope that I have that desire in all that I am doing.
I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire.
And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road,
though I may know nothing about it.
Therefore I will trust you always
though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death.
I will not fear, for you are ever with me,
and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.”

If you have hung around me for any time- you know this is my favorite prayer and has been for a long time.....

So I will graciously love this riotous display
 of late summer color-
knowing that
 when it is time


the colors will fade and a beautiful-
 more subdued color will paint the landscape.
As I continue days of watching and waiting and Listening.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for adding your thoughts and comments- they are greatly appreciated.