Wednesday, July 18, 2018

The "Where I'm From" Psalm

The Home Place
My Growing Up Farm

The photo is a bit wonky since I took a photo
 of a photo in a frame on my hallway wall.
But, it gives the setting for the
"Where I'm From" Psalm.
I wrote this back in 2010 
and have been looking for it everywhere.
On computers and hard copies.
No luck until today-sorting piles.
 I had learned about this type of Psalm
 at a Renovare conference.
 The Psalms were written as story-songs,
and though this may not be sung,
it is story.
So, sharing it here so that it is "filed."
It follows a fill-in-the blank format 
that was given to the class that I took. 
We were to describe a growing up summer
 from when we were 12.

"The Where I'm From" Psalm

I am from 4-H Clubs, from Central Soya
 and home canned peaches.
I am from the farmhouse with black shutters,
 guarding the slightly leaning Civil War barn,
 and dew-drops glistening on the catalpa branches.
I am from soybeans, massive pink peony bushes,
 black walnuts, and tasseled-out corn, 
purple lilacs and dusty gravel roads.
I am from fast-pitch softball and loyalty,
from Aunt Birdie and Riebelings and Grafts.
I am from repaint, reuse and cherish
and spin out and hang on the clothesline.
I am from "crooked, tilled rows never make
 themselves straight"
and "spritz, roll and freeze" 
before you iron those sleeves.
I am from Lutheran, Lutheran, 
that good ole', no smiles Missouri Synod.
Neighbor, neighbor, ain't we all?
I'm from Ossian and the Preble Low-Dutch Germans 
and pluckets and that hot potato salad.
From the gentle, caring nurse that excelled
 in foot rub healings, 
and the "30 and out" factory-worker farmer,
 and the whirly-gig grandpa.
I'm from iron plank bridges 
across phlox covered ditch banks,
 log and branch huts along the creek, 
and the back-forty land laid open
 in cultivated ridges
 of acres of black gold dirt.

Constance Laine Graft Martin Denninger
March 2010


2 comments:

  1. I love this Connie you are quite the poet! You should add a haiku and make it a haibun or just write a haiku Really Amazing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Connie, this is awesome! I can see the farm through your description. I can see it without the photo. I can feel the love you have in your heart for a time and place from your youth.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for adding your thoughts and comments- they are greatly appreciated.