Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Votes for Women- 100th Anniversary


Some things from my collected
 Votes for Women stash.
Today is the 100th Anniversary
 of the ratification of the 19th Amendment
 that gave women the right to vote.
Picked up the Commemorative stamps
 at the post office when they came out
 this past Saturday.
Ten years ago this month I went 
to the groundbreaking 
for the Suffragist Memorial.
I signed my name for the time capsule
 that would be a part of the site.
 I live 5 miles away so it was time 
to check on the memorial.
 I had read that things were "on hold" with Covid, but
this was a real disappointment.
Ten years and this is as far 
as they are on the completion.
 So I drove back to the Occoquan Workhouse.
 I never knew anything about this story till 12 years ago. 
My three daughters never learned about it in school. 
Not till I was assigned to watch the movie- 
Iron Jawed Angels
iron+jawed+angels+dvd 
in a Master's class, 
did I learn the story of what
 happened here in Occoquan, VA.
A bit of history about the purple and gold.

 A bit about the story of the yellow roses.
The Lucy Burns Museum was closed today.
So part two of the story will happen soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for adding your thoughts and comments- they are greatly appreciated.