Tuesday, February 27, 2024

When the Story Blesses the Kingdom Number 15 #becauseofconcordia



 All of the CUAA Athletic community have taken some hard knocks in that past two weeks. They have been blamed for budget deficits, missing the "purpose" of the University and called out for "taxing the bottom line."   The athletic programs have grown in both diversity and  quality and the campus has a high margin of campus students who are involved in the athletic programs. The excellence in music has been touted in both personal posts and in the insightful views into the campus worship community and connecting concert activities. Listen carefully in this post and hear the whisper of the Holy Spirit working in the heart of a student amidst  busy campus life.


When the Story Blesses the Kingdom

Chase Maynard  

 I came to CUAA to play football. I grew up in a small community down near Columbus, Ohio.  Living in a small community has its perks. You really see the people around you and spend time with them. When I was looking for colleges, I knew that I had to go to a smaller school. I was looking for a small school experience. There is this big family now with everyone and you never have to feel alone. The professors, coaches, and staff create this loving environment for the students and the athletes. I have never felt more comfortable in a school where I can be myself and don’t have to worry about what others think. The friendships I have made here will last for my entire life here on earth. Some of these people will be at my wedding. The Lutheran culture at CUAA is unique as a university setting.

I had a wonderful growing up household. We always went to church on Sundays and I used to complain about going to church. Services were too long and I needed help to understand the Bible. My mom was always "bugging me" about reading it. She always just showed me Jesus. I was arrogant and I was stubborn. My mom worried that I was never going to "see the light". Coming to this school has opened my eyes and changed me. I began to see the power of the Holy Spirit and make connections in the classes I took.  Freshman year I was hanging out with my friends who started to talk about Jesus.  I listened to them share how Jesus loves you more than anything else. I could feel something in my body stir that I have never felt before. That night I prayed and the rest is history. I just hit 365 days in a row on my Bible app and I’m very happy for God's work for that life change. I started to go to Night of Worship and attend Chapel almost every day. Reading God's Word is now a constant in my life for guidance. This school and the people here helped to direct my life for eternity. I believe Jesus is mine and He put me here for a reason.



CUAA has also impacted my whole family.  My brother, Hunter, attended Concordia Ann Arbor and had a wonderful football career here. He was an education major just like the rest of my family. I came to his games and I saw the brotherhood of CUAA football. You can just sense the coaches want to be here. They are a constant presence to help an athlete achieve the highest. My brother would call and share
 why this place would be great for me. He never came home, because he was having the most fun ever. In the summer he would go back up and hang out with friends or go to summer football workouts. During football season my family comes to all the games and shows support for me and my teammates. Before football games, you can see parents tailgating in the parking lot. When we travel to away games, we sometimes have more fans than the Home Team sometimes. Concordia shows up and we never will stand down from anything.


This school is strong, loving, and committed to students. We can't believe what is happening now. Dear President Ankerberg and Board of Regents, please read all the letters you are receiving. So many people have poured their lives, time and their money into this school. We are growing and people want to join the ride. This school is creating disciples of Jesus. Jesus wants us to spread His word. Please let this school spread His love and help us to welcome others who don't know YOU. Our school means “Hearts together”. We are all one big family that want to live as one.

Chase Maynard is a sophomore at CUAA.

He is a part of the football team 

and is majoring in Secondary Education Mathematics.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for adding your thoughts and comments- they are greatly appreciated.