Tuesday, February 20, 2024

When the Story Blesses the Kingdom Number 7 #becauseofconcordia

All of the Concordia University System schools have similar stories of finding lifelong friends and mates in their University setting. This is  probably true of any college setting. When core faith values are affirmed and the next generation is impacted-  

    that is Kingdom perspective.


When the Story Blesses the Kingdom

Ann Keegan Gillaspie

My Concordia Ann Arbor story began when I was a freshman in high school in the late 1970's. Every summer of my high school years, I was able to attend the Michigan District Youth Gathering on campus. It was the highlight of my summers. My spiritual formation blossomed as we canvassed area neighborhoods and shared our faith, had devotions in the dorms, sang praises to our Mighty God, worshiped in chapel and listened to amazing speakers. One of the most impactful parts of this ministry was finding so many other young Christians to share our faith journey with each other. From the very first youth gathering at CCAA, I knew that was where I would attend college. I ONLY applied to Concordia. Many people thought this was folly. How could I know I would be accepted there? In my heart I knew without a doubt that is where God was calling me. 


God's light shines through Concordia into a dark world that no longer wants to acknowledge Him. It has prepared students as pastors, teachers, and leaders in their communities and congregations. Lifetime friendships grew here. Spouses were met here. Faith was grown and nurtured here. The advice and love of faithful Christian faculty was given here. Chapel services and evening devotions were shared here. The Word and Sacraments were faithfully administered here. It was home to students for 2-4 years where spiritual souls were fed. One of my favorite memories was being able to perform as the pauper in the very first Boar's Head Festival. Traditions like this stay with a person all their life. Michigan needs this spiritual home. We need to continue sharing God's light because it not only shines in the hearts of it's students, alumni and faculty, but in every person their lives touch. It is essential. I, along with countless others, cannot even imagine a world without this haven of faith, hope, love and peace.


Ann (Keegan) Gillaspie

Class of 1980

Married To Wes Gillaspie

Class of 1979

Pastor Gillaspie serves St. Michaels Lutheran Church

in Richville, MI. and they live in Frankenmuth, MI.

Ann served as a lead teacher at 

St. Michael's Community Childcare Center for 12 years.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for adding your thoughts and comments- they are greatly appreciated.