Tuesday, October 9, 2018

When Marring Becomes Patina

 This stool sits outside the kitchen door
 and holds a container that gathers things
 for the recycling bin.
It needed a bit of sponging off today.
As I sponged things off I noted 
the amazing collection of spatters and splotches
 that make up this "painted" stool.
It is a great little stool that is also a step ladder 
and the extension folds up 
so that it takes up less room. 
It was from my husband, John's, growing up home.
A friend commented that it is a great little stool
 and wondered what color I was going to paint it.
I quietly stated that I loved it just the way it was-
spattered, multi-colored and messy.
'You just can't get a patina like that if you tried."
I know she thought I was a bit off with my answer.
But, you see, that is exactly what fits 
into my life as a wonderful reminder.
The tattered, worn layers show the STORY.
There is marring on all of us.
The hurts, failings, short-comings,
and disappointments of life.
It is a wonderful thing
 to see authentic layers
 in a journey. 
When we share the learnings along the way.
This little stool is just the reminder 
I need as I walk in and out of our home.
 Be real and celebrate the dents and dings-
because they really do bring the joy of a 
rich Patina- that you just can't fake.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for adding your thoughts and comments- they are greatly appreciated.