Wednesday, October 3, 2018

When Your Soul Needs Respite

 It sneaks up on me. 
The desperate gasping of my soul
 for breath and nourishment.
I often plow right along. 
There is the "to-do" list. 
Places to go. Tasks with a deadline.
Yet, it is exactly in this busiest of seasons 
that I need to STOP 
and just take those few minutes 
to breathe slowly and deeply.
Time to admire the veining 
in the coleus that will soon wilt with frost.
Time to trace the glorious pink 
mandevilla that has climbed the pole on the deck.
To see the contrast behind of blue sky and clouds.
This is tilling soul time.
In Joyce Rupp's book 
May I Have This Dance?  she shares that 
"the human spirit is much like a spring garden. 
If growth is to happen, it too must be made ready.
 The human spirit must be opened up
 if God's goodness is to grow there. 
Open minds and hearts are ready to receive 
the abundant life God constantly offers."
So I take time to open up.....till....
Time to work up the soil with His Word in hand.
Time to offer up those in my heart in prayer.
Time to seek God's will in my life.
Time to look for where He is currently working.

In his book- A Praying Life- 
Connecting with God in a Distracting World,  
Paul E. Miller reminds us-

"It's okay to have a busy life.
It's crazy to have a busy soul."

Take a soul breath.

3 comments:

Thanks for adding your thoughts and comments- they are greatly appreciated.